Position Information Message
The mission of the Houston Botanic Garden is to enrich life through discovery, education, and conservation of plants and the natural environment. HBG will open an oasis in the City of Houston this Fall on a beautiful 132-acre site on Sims Bayou leased from the City. HBG is building an organization and a staff to inspire people to love plants and be good stewards of the natural world.
The Houston Botanic Garden is seeking an Irrigation Specialist
who will be primarily responsible for maintaining the irrigation system. This role will also help maintain and repair horticulture equipment, as well as support the horticulture team in general horticulture tasks. Reporting to the Horticulture Manager, the Irrigation Specialist will also coordinate with the Senior Horticulturist for daily operations, and will work both independently and with a group of horticulturists. The ideal candidate is a confident, hands-on, resourceful person with a strong background in irrigation and plumbing. Additionally, the ideal candidates will also be skilled in and horticulture equipment and machinery maintenance, as well as in gardening. This multi-faceted position will also involve assisting with preparation for volunteer horticulture workdays to support general garden maintenance tasks.
Main Job Responsibilities
- Renovation of irrigation areas as needed.
- Responsible for making irrigation repairs and leading irrigation maintenance.
- Support horticulture equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Perform regular building maintenance tasks (simple wood and/or steel structures).
- Operate equipment and tools to accomplish work efficiently and safely.
- Maintain Horticulture tools and equipment.
- Participate in hands-on work in cultivated gardens and stewardship of natural ecosystems, including, weeding, watering, planting and mulching.
- Assist in garden volunteer and education programs.
||Houston Botanic Garden
|Posting Start Date:
||Qualifications and Experience Requirements:
Ideal Candidates will also possess:
- Texas certified Landscape Irrigator.
- Proven work history that exemplifies competency in irrigation systems.
- Ability and willingness to perform hands-on work in all types of weather typical in Houston.
- Position subject to passing a criminal background check.
- Previous experience maintaining and repairing horticultural equipment (blowers, string trimmers, chainsaws, carts, etc.), highly desired.
- Experience and confidence in operating horticulture equipment and machines.
- Previous professional experience in a large horticultural setting (park, botanic garden or university campus).
- Proficient working with Baseline irrigation controllers.
- Confident and self-reliant to get the job done.
- Ability to be flexible and thrive in a dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated passion for plants and nature.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others
||This listing expires on: 9/24/2023